I met my wife in November of our Freshman year in college. We're made for each other. Everyday I'm thankful to have a wife who is willing to pack up and start life over from scratch so that we can pursue our dreams. She's awesome.
She has been my constant.
It's important to have someone on your side in LA. It doesn't have to be a romantic partner.
A best friend or family member can be a great partner.
You need someone that:
- is on your side.
- wants you to win.
- you can be honest with about yourself and what you're going through.
- can give you their opinion without being a jerk.
- will hold you accountable.
As an actor, you are the owner of your own unique business. You are the president, advertising head, accountant, and product. It's a strange business that requires discipline and focus (like most successful businesses do) but, you have no one to answer to.
Sound awesome, right? The idea of nobody holding you accountable may be enticing, but it has ruined many an acting career before it even had time to get started.
Nobody is going to ask you:
- what are your goals?
- how are you measuring your goals?
- are you trying new approaches to building your business?
- what business connections have you made this day/week/month?
- what lessons have you learned?
Another option is to get with a group of actor friends once a week/month and review goals.
The point is, you shouldn't do this alone.
I know I couldn't.